Attacks On Afghan Schools Tripled In 2018: UNICEF
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) in a new report released on Tuesday said that attack on schools in Afghanistan has been tripled in 2018 in camper to 2017.
The number of incidents rose from 68 in 2017 to 192 last year — the first time an increase has been recorded since 2015.
“Education is under fire in Afghanistan,” UNICEF Executive Director Henrietta Fore said. “The senseless attacks on schools; the killing, injury and abduction of teachers; and the threats against education are destroying the hopes and dreams of an entire generation of children.”
One possible reason behind the rise in attacks, according to the UN agency, is that school buildings served as polling centers during last year’s parliamentary elections.
UNICEF said around 3.7 million Afghan children — about half the country’s school-age population — were missing out on formal education.
About 60% of them were girls. It also said security threats from groups such as the Taliban and the Daesh have forced more than 1,000 schools across the country to remain closed.